Machine Learning Lead
November 15th, 2017 | 7:43 PM EST
You'll work closely and collaboratively on a small team tasked with defining, prototyping, and creating the foundation for our next generation of products and features. Working closely with our CEO, and product direction, design, and development team members, you’ll lead the creation of data-first approaches to tackle difficult problems in EdTech.
Lead, Manage & Accountability
Provide leadership and management to a small team of machine learning developers. Support and train them to meet their core responsibilities. Train and mentor your team to increase their capacity and skill sets.
Technical Leadership - Machine Learning & Data Science
Enable your team and the company to achieve success beyond their individual capabilities by providing technical expertise from experience, mentoring teammates, facilitating the solving of challenging problems, and making difficult decisions. Provide machine learning guidance and feedback to strategic vision and roadmapping discussions.
Feature Delivery / Productization
Nurture the creation of new products and features, and the evolution of existing functionality by participating in the early stages of conceptualization, validation, and scoping. Take ownership of the technical implementation, testing, and quality assurance plan to deliver new products and features to production. Openly and honestly identify roadblocks, false assumptions, and diversions which may affect the timeliness of launch expectations.
Research and Development
Lead the proactive exploration of new machine learning technologies or approaches to develop and inform innovative new experiments, prototypes, and product features.
The Ideal Candidate
- 2+ years of experience leading data science or machine learning teams
- 4+ years of web software development across a breadth of modern technologies and methodologies
- Experience setting a strategic direction in data — what data to gather, what kinds of experiments to try, etc.
- Experience taking algorithms from research to production
- Proven ability to build ML algorithms in a standard environment such as Python/R/Julia/MATLAB/etc.
Additional, but not required
- Ability to communicate ML concepts effectively to non-ML-experts
- Familiarity with natural language processing algorithms
- Proven ability to find and train machine learning talent
- Familiarity with a Python-based ML environment (e.g. Numpy + Scikit Learn)
- Experience with AWS-based development and design patterns
- Experience building web applications with an MVC framework such as Django, Symfony2, or Ruby on Rails
- Health benefits plan
- 4 weeks of vacation per year (plus the week between Christmas and New Years)
- A results focused culture with flexible work hours and schedules
- Opportunity to work remotely, when necessary
- A $1,000/year personal learning budget for conferences, classes, etc. of your choice
- Frequent company and department social nights (board games, go-karting, escape rooms, axe throwing, etc.)
- Bi-weekly team lunch, and a kitchen stocked with (healthy and less healthy) snacks
- Weekly company TGIF hangout
Workinbg at Kira:
WORKING AT KIRA TALENT
At Kira, we are solving complex problems in higher education by building elegant products that are easy to use.
We’re a lean, highly-collaborative team who take on big challenges and work quickly and cross-functionally to achieve success for schools and applicants. If you’re an entrepreneurial, startup type, you’re gonna love it here.
We strive to remain an open, honest, and fun place to work that is shaped by the people within it. We are committed to building and supporting talent that reflects our diverse culture.