Technical Program Manager, Google Home Platform Software
December 4th, 2017 | 2:31 AM EST
Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily. As a Technical Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will own release schedules and work closely with software engineers, QA, product managers and field testers to ensure products and new features are developed, tested and released on time. You will identify and manage risks, making judgments about quality and stopping/speeding up production at the right time.
Beyond solid program delivery and technical skills, you have proven experience in the delivery of complex large-scale hardware/software projects. You have a strong internal drive, a collaborative method of working, and deep experience in delivering complex systems on time.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Consumer Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Consumer Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Manage technical projects or programs, working closely with Google engineers and technical staff to develop and track release milestones and schedules.
- Manage communication of progress within the core team and external stakeholders, and escalate issues as necessary.
- Assess the quality of releases through monitoring of incoming bugs and code changes to identify quality issues and trends.
- Develop tools and processes to improve software engineering productivity and own technical relationships with vendors and partners.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience as a Program or Engineering manager, with 2 years of experience as an engineer in a technical domain.
- 3 years of experience with embedded systems in the consumer hardware space while working with third-party vendors such as SOC vendors and system integrators.
- Experience in working with third-party vendors such as SOC vendors and system integrators.
- Experience tracking and translating engineering discussions into actionable engineering tasks and next steps
- Ability to work as an individual contributor and contribute as part of a larger team, with the ability to influence.
- Ability to take responsibility for projects and manage through to completion.
- Excellent management skills, with the demonstrated ability to develop platform software.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.